Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Carthage Jail
Sherwin's favorite part of our visit to church history sites was the visit we made to Carthage jail. Carthage jail was about a half and hour drive from Nauvoo. All my life I had imagined a concrete building with bars on the windows. I was surprised to learn that the jail also served as and home for the jailor and his family.
I was also surprised to learn that Joseph Smith and his companions dined with the jailor and his family and even stayed in one of the bedrooms. I have attached a link to a historical account of the events that happened at Carthage jail.http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/people/joseph_smith/martyrdom.html#eye
Joseph Smith fell from the second story window that is shown in this picture.
The same window from the inside of the jail. Also the bed which John Taylor hid under after he was shot.
Carthage Jail
The jailor's dining room where the prisoners ate with his family.
The door to the room where Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith and John Taylor were shot. You can see the bullet holes. One on the extreme right where they shot through the latch and one on the upper right hand panel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment