Friday, April 19, 2013

Water Aerobics

I love my water aerobics class!  I got lucky with a great instructor.  She methodically works all areas of your body as well as working on your balance and coordination.  We have a 60 minute session 3 times a week.  I think it has helped me lose inches.  I enjoy the women (and occasional men) in my class.  We enjoy a brisk workout followed by relaxing in the hot pool.

 I am the 3rd person from the left.  My instructor is in the front.
Below are some facts I got off the internet.

Water Aerobics

  • Water aerobics classes are generally offered through a gym with a pool like the YMCA. Water aerobics instructors are highly trained and must be certified. The instructor starts by getting everyone in waist-deep water. She will start out with very low-impact warm-up, such as jogging in place. She will increase the intensity and speed of the exercises for about 30 minutes of actual aerobic activity. She will then guide the class through a series of cool-down exercises and stretches. Some instructors add strength training work to the class.

Calories are Burned During Water Aerobics

  • While intensity can be varied by the participant, the Activity Profile of NutriStrategy Nutrition and Fitness Software calculates that most water aerobics classes enable the student to burn about 236 calories per hour if the student is a female weighing approximately 130 lbs. If she weighs 155 lbs., she can burn about 281 calories, and if she is closer to 190 lbs., she can expect to burn about 345 for an hour workout.
    The calorie differences are due to the fact that it takes more energy to push a larger mass through water. Thus, a 125-lb. woman wouldn't require the same number of calories to push her weight through water as a 190-lb. woman would require for her weight.

1 comment:

  1. I love my class too. Pain free in the water.Great pics.

    ReplyDelete